Evaluation of the Pearsonian Type I Curve of Fertility by Age of Women of Aboriginal Identity Groups in Canada, 1996-2001

Ravi B.P. Verma, Statistics Canada
Shirley Loh, Statistics Canada

In 2005, Statistics Canada published new projections of the Aboriginal Populations (North American Indians, M├ętis and Inuit) in Canada, Provinces and Territories: 2001 to 2017. To derive the number of births in these projections, the age-specific fertility rates were simulated by fitting the Pearsonian Type I curve using the fertility parameters: total fertility rates, mean and modal ages of fertility. These parameters were estimated for 2001 by the own-children method using data on children aged 0-4 and women within the age groups, 15-49 from the 2001 Census of Canada. The purpose of this paper is to evaluate the goodness of fit between the age-specific fertility rates developed by the Type I curve and the estimated age-specific fertility rates for Aboriginal identity groups for the period 1996-2001 at the Canada level and two fertility regions. Tests of validity of the Type I curve will be addressed in the paper.

See extended abstract

Presented in Poster Session 2: Family, Households, Unions; Data, Methods, Study Design