The Social Capital of Immigrants and Non-Immigrants in Segregated Communities in Los Angeles and Houston

Nadia Y. Flores, Texas A&M University

Studies of segregation and poverty have not considered the potential advantages of strong ties in the survival strategies of poor people living in poor urban neighborhoods and have instead focused exclusively on the disadvantages (i.e., Massey and Denton 1993). I explore whether African Americans (AA) and Mexican immigrants (MI) who live in Los Angeles and Houston rely on similar or different social support strategies in order to survive. First, I analyze the Multi-City Study of Urban Inequality dataset (LA sample) for AA and MI in order to identify who provides the help and what kinds of help is provided among the members for each group. Then I compare such findings with the evidence provided by survey and ethnographic data collected in one AA and one MI neighborhood in the city of Houston. I expect this study to reveal important similarities and differences among immigrants and non-immigrants survival strategies in the U.S..

See extended abstract

Presented in Poster Session 6: Migration, Urbanization, Neighborhood and Residential Context